Lessons in soapmaking

Well, today I tried to make liquid soap. I think I may have done everything to hastily. Some things I even did flat out wrong. It was a great learning experience though!

I used the only soap calculator that I know will let me chose percentages of hydroxides for a recipe. That might have something to do with this failure. It could be that I mixed warm potash with hot oils and that intently bubbled up. Some mixture even went over the pot. The whole thing never went down from foam but it did trace a hell of a lot faster than I expected. I think it traced anyway. I ended up superefatting the mix and pouring the foam into small moulds. I didn’t let it mellow for more than a few hours before I tried to dilute it in what is likely too much water, far too soon.

Before the dissolving stage, it did lather very well. I don’t know how that’s going to work now that it’s so liquid. It is still soap but it’s way too runny to use. It’s practically water. It even separates somehow… I think. It’s so strange and the process is so new to me I don’t exactly know if this is even salvageable. I won’t let that stop me from trying again and properly next time.

I’ll definitely make it with the same recipe but I sure will take the proper steps and give the mixture plenty of time to cure before I try to dilute the soap. Stay tune in a couple of weeks or so for the next attempt at liquid soap. Until then, if anyone who’s made it has any tip for me, please leave them in the comments. I would love to hear from you and know how long it took for your soap to come to trace.

Back to Top